Tips for Spring
The days are getting longer and it's a great time to Measure Up. Remember, every little thing you do to eat healthier and increase physical activity in your day counts! Here are some ideas to help you take advantage of Spring:
- Step into Spring by planning your physical activity and healthy meals with the help of the Measure Up 12-week planner.
- Visit local fruit and vegetable markets on the weekend and stock up on healthy food for the coming week.
- Enjoy the warmer weather and get outdoors. Dust off the bike and go for a ride, have a hit of tennis with your friends, do work in the garden or take the family out for an afternoon walk.
- Incorporate green leafy salads, stir frys and other lighter meals into your diet using seasonal fruit and veggies and lean meats.
- Use the barbeque instead of cooking inside. Try serving grilled fish, marinated chicken (with the skin off) or lamb and mushroom kebabs, and add some barbequed veggies or corn on the cob.(You could even organise a community BBQ challenge.
- Are the kids involved in a team sport or other organised physical activity? Why not follow their example and join a team sport of your own, or take a group fitness class?
- Plant some fruit or vegetables in your garden or in pots. Visit a local nursery for advice about what will grow best in your area.
- Take advantage of longer days by spending time being active outside before or after work. Take your dog (or the neighbour’s dog) for a walk or get together with a friend and go for a walk or jog.
- When you spend time with your kids be active! If you can, walk the kids to and from school, have a twilight game of backyard cricket, play frisbee or kick the footy around.